Sunday, March 28, 2010

2nd Decade -- the road continues

Well, if your still with me you'll know your in for some reading...

My second decade was much of the same... still lived in the little house in the country with the same people...

High school wasn't as much fun as elementary... can we say cliques, mean girls, puberty, teenage angst, hormonal upheaval, rebellion and that was just my own life ... you get the picture... it was a time in the 70's when a young woman did not have a college future.... either homemaker, factory worker or clerk in the local 5& 10... education was for the children of doctors, lawyers and chiefs of companies... not for a coal miner's daughter... and this was OK with me...

Married at 19 ... mother at 19 and in my little wee apartment living the life .... a son, Andy and all the glory... wonderful time to be young, in love and a new mother. Husband working full time at the local train station.... life was good.

I remember being so scared, first time mother's jitters... second guessing everything... colic and frustration... fear of not knowing .... loving the little guy with every ounce of my being... pictures taken at the local 5& 10.... his chubby little legs and his head of dark hair... working part time a few evenings a week... worrying if I was doing everything right for Andy... fretting about his sleep, his health, his feedings... a mothers worries... goodbye, teenage years ----- hello, adulthood....

Sisters and brothers entering new phases of their own lives... parents entering a calmer, empty nest and less stress with fewer people in the home.... economics changing, a different pace of life and responsibilities... children returning to the nest on major holidays and summer outings... different relationships forming between parent and child....

I remember the "Phone" being a life line to my mother... calling everyday and checking in... is she OK, am I OK, how is my grandson, my son is fine, just the little small talk over the distance of a few miles and to keep heart and apron strings from stretching too far....

Oops... my phone is ring ... it's my daughter Kimberly checking in ... only difference is now we are talking about my new grandson, Jayden, talking on a cell phone and all that high tech gadgetry... oh, my times change and change they do.....

to be continued


1 comment:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Deb, I enjoyed reading this! My mother was married at 18 and had my sister at 20 so I know she would identify with this story.

I'm sorry I've been MIA lately, but I haven't had computer access. I'm about to not have it again for a few weeks while I'm away supervising work on a house. Just wanted to drop by and visit before I'm off again. When I get back, I'll catch up with you! Hope all is well...

XO,

Sheila :-)